[Qgis-user] Edit attribute table rows

David J. Bakeman dbakeman at comcast.net
Fri Apr 8 10:54:12 PDT 2016

On 04/08/2016 04:18 AM, Lester Anderson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an attribute table of earthquake data (focal mechanism beach
> balls) and need to edit the depth attribute. Each ball is defined by
> two rows in the table, eg first ball
>
> Row_ID Strike Dip Rake Magnitude Quadrant Depth
> 0 NULL NULL NULL NULL Tensional and Compressional NULL
> 1 233 38 -96 6.77 Compressional 623
> 2 NULL NULL NULL NULL Tensional and Compressional NULL
> 3 68 36 83 5.7 Compressional 39
> etc
I'm probably completely misunderstanding your question but here goes...

So are you saying you want the Depth for row 0 set to 623 and the Depth
for row 2 set to 39?

Is there geometry connected to each row?  If not rows 0 and 2 don't seem
to have useful information?

I'm definitely  not any kind of database expert but isn't it a no no to
have multiple rows represent one thing?  Wouldn't they normally be in
two tables and a join used to describe the whole object?

I would be tempted to put rows 0,2, etc. into one table and 1,3, etc.
into another and join but the only key would seem to be the rowid so I'm
at a loss.