[Qgis-user] Sum of Polygon values

Rodrigo Gonçalves rodrigolirag at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 00:55:03 PDT 2016

Dear QGIS users,
I am quite new to the software, hence maybe my question is basic, bu t i
have been struggling with this for a while and decided to get some expert
input.

The situation is the following:
I have 6 polygons that represent regions of the Iberian Peninsula. Each of
these polygons is composed by several features and one attribute named
value. The value column has an uniform value of 1.

My intention is to get a polygon or a raster ( i think that maybe a raster
is more appropriate because of the raster calculator tool, but i'm not
sure) that would represent the sum of all the polygons, and when these are
overlapped the value will account for how many overlap at that feature.

In other words, imagine that we have a feature that is common for the 6
polygons, another for only 3 polygons and the rest do not overlap, i would
like to have a final polygon where the column value would account for the
number of times that the polygons intercept for a given feature. This way i
could say which region has the most competition (this is relative to a
influence area of a certain business).

I am attaching a snapshot of the problem below. I hope i was clear in my
description.

Cheers