[Qgis-user] QGIS Crash Message

Martin Bain Martin.Bain at lismore.nsw.gov.au
Sun Aug 7 19:24:52 PDT 2016

I finally fixed my crash on every exit of QGIS 2.16.

Since my previous post my PC was replaced and I tried a fresh install of 2.16.1 but still got the crash every exit.

I ended up deleting the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\QGIS branch from the registry.

Even though it was a fresh install of QGIS I think my user profile meant the old registry values followed me to my new computer.  This fixed the issue but was a bit heavy handed as I lost a lot of customs settings.  I exported the branch from the registry before I deleted it.  Merging it back into the registry caused the problem to reappear.  I tried deleting a few of the more complex looking sub branches but didn't find the registry value causing the crash.  Finally I deleted the whole HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\QGIS branch again, then started QGIS and with GIS running I merged the branch back  into the registry, I then exited QGIS without getting a crash!  I no longer get a crash on exit and I retained almost all of my settings - active plugins, recently used paths, expressions etc.  I lost a couple of thing that must be saved on exit such as the layout of the layers panel and the browser panel, but all good.

Cheers,
Martin