[Qgis-user] QGIS vs ArcGIS in Education and Practice

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Thu Dec 15 14:38:30 PST 2016

Hi,

This is a good question! My answer would be that students have a better chance of having a job if the learn GIS and not a software.  The software is only a tool!  If they have an ArcGIS licence at the university and can use it year round with the university, they could learn with that.

My experience is that afterwards, they will either pirate the software or abandons GIS because they cannot pay for the software.  Also, more and more students are on Macs and ArcGIS will not work unless you have a dual boot, a virtual PC or a online licence.

Also, if you want to just use a software as a technician and make GIS research,  you can use ArcGIS.  If you want a really good paying job and want to be able learn how to develop software and develop GIS, then QGIS or OpenSource is the way to go!

To think that learning GIS = learning a software is short sighted.  Would you trust a statistician if all he learned in university is how to use a particular software or would you prefer someone who really knows what statistics are all about???

Nicolas