[Qgis-user] spatialjoin

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Wed Dec 21 05:07:32 PST 2016

2 things:

1. In QGIS there is a processing toolbox (I assume you are one something
as new as version 2.14.8). Open it (it's at the top -> Processing ->
Toolbox). You can search for tools. Search for "join" and you should see
a "Join Attributes by location". This is a spatial join.

2. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. You mentioned you had collected points with
a GPS. Possibly these points are in EPSG:4326. I'm going to guess that
your parcel layer isn't. If you right click your parcel layer (in the
layers panel) it will allow you to select properties. On the General Tab
you will see the Coordinate Reference System mentioned and many times it
is something like EPSG:xxxx . A Spatial Join must have the layers in the
same coordinate system.

If it is different - Right Click on your GPS points and "Save as". When
the "Save vector layer as...." window comes up. Save it as a shapefile
and MOST IMPORTANTLY change the CRS to match your parcel layer. Click on
the small globe (that appears to be wearing a hat) and in the filter
type in the number you see for your parcels. You can then select that
projection and Save your file. It should save. You can then perform the
"join by location".

It should work. You are very close though so don't worry.

Randy