[Qgis-user] Connecting QGIS to an Android GPS

Pedro VenĂ¢ncio pedrongvenancio at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 01:35:12 PST 2016

Hi Paolo,

I've no problem to connect an Android phone (Nexus 4) to a Linux Mint /
Ubuntu laptop, both with ShareGPS [0] or GPS over BT [1] apps.

For instance, for ShareGPS, Add a new connection, Type standard NMEA
format, connection over bluetooth, auto find and connect to the laptop
bluetooth. Then click on 'bluetooth icon' on ShareGPS, to make the
smartphone visible to others by 180 seconds, and on laptop (where I've gpsd
deamon running), the steps are exactly the ones pointed by Richard:

$ hcitool scan
    (here you will get the MAC address - xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)

$ sdptool records xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

In your case the answer is:

    Service Name: ShareGPS
    Service RecHandle: 0x10011
    Service Class ID List:
      "Serial Port" (0x1101)
    Protocol Descriptor List:
      "L2CAP" (0x0100)
      "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
        Channel: 2

So, you do:

$ sudo rfcomm bind 0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 2

and you will get the /dev/rfcomm0.

Then run QGIS with root, and connect GPS to /dev/rfcomm0.

It is working fine here.

Best regards,
Pedro VenĂ¢ncio

[0] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jillybunch.shareGPS