[Qgis-user] [QGis 2.10]Error while saving shape file

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Mon Feb 8 06:24:24 PST 2016

Hi,
May I suggest you all file a bug reports if it has not been done.
This is indeed the third problem reported.  The first seemed related to deleting shapefile geometries (a known problem caused by the fact that the released file description by ESRI does not explain how to delete geometries, the second was most likely cause by a wrongly selected snapping  option and now this this.
General  recommendations vary from updating QGIS to the latest version, disabling third party plugins that may cause memory leaks and do things like slowing down saving file for simple modification (as reported here), to saving shapefile regularly under different names (which should be done all the time along with backups of the original data before it is modified) and finally, to use a more modern file format like spatialite.   Spatialite format is open and apparently very effective.   Shapefile, being an old proprietary format  should be used only for last resort file sharing. That being said, I use it all the time.  Call it a bad habit! :)
Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995
www.archeotec.ca