[Qgis-user] adding points within polygons

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Feb 8 11:16:10 PST 2016

It comes with QGIS, as long as you installed python support (default on
most things, except some Linux platforms). To activate it enable the
ftools plugin in the plugin manager. FYI there should also be options in
the Processing Toolbox.

I will also take this moment to note, that Centroid will not ensure your
point is always inside the polygon (Think quarter moon shapes, or multi
polygons). There is a function in Spatialite, Postgis, etc, called Point
on Surface that ensures you get a centroid like point that is guaranteed
to be inside the polygon.

Enjoy,
Alex