[Qgis-user] adding points within polygons

Brent Wood pcreso at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 11:59:22 PST 2016

Which version of QGIS are you using? This is in the dev version which I'm using (on Linux), but not in QGIS 2.8 (just looked at that on another laptop - Geometry tools is there - but not the centroid one). I don't know if it is in 2.12 or not.

You can also install the "realcentroids" plugin. This seems to create a replica of the polygon table, but creates a point feature to replace the polygon, which should also do what you want.
I just tried it & it worked in a simple test case. Perhaps your easiest option.

There is also a processing -> qgis geoalgorithms -> polygon centroid function, but this can return a point which does not lie within the polygon if the polygon is concave.
A bit more cumbersome - but you can also:
 edit the polygon layer,
open the attribute table
start the field calculatorcreate a new (real no with decimals) column as the X value ie: X($geometry)
create a new column as the Y value ie: Y($geometry)save as CSV file
open the CSV file & define it as a point layer using the new X & Y columns for coords

You now have a point layer of centroids (but note that centroids can lie outside a concave polygon):-)

Cheers
Brent