[Qgis-user] GPS tracking for long distance hike

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sat Feb 20 18:59:18 PST 2016

I use a garmin eTrex20. 600km is a long way. I would suggest bring along
extra AA batteries. The garmin takes 2 AA batteries.

The OpenStreetMap wiki [1] has a lot of information on tracking devices.
You may be able to find a device better suited to your needs there.

Clifford

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GPS_device_reviews

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Johanna Botman <johanna at jbotman.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have volunteered to make maps for a 600km walk and am looking for some
> guidance in my research to find the best method for recording the track.
>
> I’m not personally doing the walk. So I need to have something reliable,
> long lasting, produce a gpx file and easy to use for a novice. At this
> point, I don’t know what facilities may be available for recharging
> batteries. I don’t want anything with a subscription or that relies on a
> sim card.
>
> Any suggestions, or pointers to other projects that had similar
> requirements?
>

> *Johanna*

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us