[Qgis-user] Assistance with high-level use case of QGIS for commercial use

Brent Wood pcreso at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 26 18:07:58 PST 2016

Hi Dave,
If you don't require any desktop mapping, just a web accessible spatial overlay operation, I'd have thought using Postgis to store your polygon layer(s) & to carry out the overlay operation, then return the txt file would be simpler & easier, via any sort of scripted web interface.

the sqls for the overlay to return the text file could just about be as simple as:
copy feature from txtfile;
select f.id, f.lat, f.lon, p.id
   from polygon p, feature f
   where ST_Contains(p.poly, ST_SetSRID(ST_Makepoint(f.lon, f.lat),4326));
drop feature;

The first loads the text file into a database table - at potentially 10,000's per second...

The second creates a point geometry from the point coordinates, sets the coordinate reference system for this to lat/long, and returns the point values as well as those of any polygon on your polygon dataset which the point lies within.

The point table is then deleted.

You just need to wrap this up in your preferred scripting language to make it web accessible.
HTH,

Brent Wood