[Qgis-user] Best way to work in QGIS as 'clean install'

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Jan 11 11:17:08 PST 2016

On 01/11/2016 10:59 AM, Michael Treglia wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I'm updating some training material I use in a course, and want to make
> sure I'm viewing things as new users with a clean install would (while
> maintaining a copy with everything as I want it configured).  I've figured
> out a way to do this, but wanted to see if others have a better solution.
>
> My method that works just fine (and lets me do screenshots and such) is to
> work on QGIS within a Ubuntu virtual machine, from my host Windows pc.
>
> It seems like a slightly easier way would be to have a separate install of
> QGIS on Windows - tried that using two different install methods on the
> same user account (OSGeo4W vs Standalone installer), but the standalone
> picked up the settings from my OSGeo install.  To work as desired, would
> that have to be done on a separate user account?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts - Cheers,
> mike

+1 Virtual Machine
It's the only real way to ensure it's 100% separate. You can also make
cheap clones of the VM (only stores the differences), so that you always
have a clean base VM to roll back to.

I suppose you could login to a different windows account and that would
at least not look at your users customization. But I'm not sure if all
other settings would be unique.

Thanks,
Alex