[Qgis-user] best way to download Large datasets from OSM

Joris Hintjens jorishin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 07:39:51 PST 2016

Hello,
Ive been spending the past few hours trying to find out what is the best way to download large chunks of OSM data.

I have no understanding of Databases nor of programming, so I am limited to predefined tools, algorithms and/or plugins.

I want t create a map of all the (navigable) rivers and canals in Europe.
I downloaded the osm.bpf of Europe (30 Gig) and when I try to start a query, QGIS freezes.

Downloading from overpass only the rivers with Quickest plugin) , gives me timeout error (even after increasing the timeout parameter)

any other suggesting welcome.

Joris