[Qgis-user] Backing up GIS Data

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 23:54:56 PDT 2016

I haven't any extensive experience with moving databases from windows to
linux or vice versa, but I've been moving (backup/restore) databases
between windows hundred of times.

  * I'm normally using the "Custom/binary" format, because it's the
    fastest method to do the backup/restore cycle.
  * When I'm creating/ structuring a new spatial database, I always
    leave the "public" schema alone and put data in another schema
    created for that purpose.
  * When doing a backup for the purpose of moving a database, I only
    backup the aforementioned *data* schema, *not* the "public" schema,
    thus avoiding taking backup of hundreds of PostGIS functions
    residing in schema "public". This makes it easier to move spatial
    data from one PostGIS-enabled database to another without annoying
    errors.
  * And - just as you - I use the "plain" format when it's necessary to
    make some changes to the structure or fields  with a text editor
    during the move of the database.

Regards

Bo Victor Thomsen
AestasGIS