[Qgis-user] QGIS web client(s) status(es)

Daniel Vicente Lühr Sierra dluhr at ieee.org
Wed Jun 1 15:38:31 PDT 2016

Hi all,

(Please, I'm sorry if multiple copies of this message arrive to the list, I sent it first with out being subscribed and apparently it didn't get through)

I am working on a couple projects which involve the implementation of
small scale spatial data infrastructures (Spatial DB + GIS server + GIS
webclient). I have good knowledge in C/C++ and Python development but my
JavaScripts skills are "weak" to say the least.

I have QGIS server working + a PostGIS enabled PostgreSQL DB, and the
users (which are familiar with QGIS desktop) will develop map projects
with QGIS desktop.

Now, for the choice of a web-client I have found two alternatives which
apparently work with QGIS server "in mind" (make use of its extensions,
like print composer, etc.):
* QGIS web client.
* Lizmap web client.

First, I would like to know if any or both projects are "officially"
active (I understand by the timestamps in github that both are, but
Lizmap looks more "lively"). Also, I read somewhere in the list about a
QGIS webclient "Mk. II" being worked on.

Second, I would like to know if QGIS-webclient has support for WFS
layers, or if it is easy to implement (OpenLayers should be able to
handle WFS, but I don't know if that functionality has been implemented in the webclient).

Finaly, just by reading the documentation (I haven't tested Lizmap,
yet), it looks like Lizmap has more features (and more modern) than QGIS
web client, like a workaround to include the base layer in a printed
copy of the map, WFS-"ready", links to media files, portable
devices-friendly, embedded user access control, animation support for
temporal vector layers, and others, at the expense of a slighltly more
complex way of generating the up of and FTP server) project output (requires the use of a
plugin and optionally the set).
I would like to read opinions of anyone who has tried both clients and
had a chance to compare them.

Any insight in these matters is highly appreciated.

Thanks

--
Daniel Vicente Lühr Sierra
IEEE Member