[Qgis-user] summing line lengths

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Jun 22 03:47:04 PDT 2016

Hi Reginald,

What QGIS version are you working on? If you have version 2.10 or
higher, this is very simple to solve with the "Statistics panel".

Got to menu "View" --> "Panels" --> "Statistics panel".

In the panel select the layer --> press the "Expression button"
(Epsilon) and type "$length". Then you should see als sort of statistics
parameters on $length, including the sum.

---------------------

Starting from QGIS 2.16, the aggregate functions are also available in
the expressions - so you could have a dynamic sum of $length in your
print composer.

Hope this helps,

Andreas

On 2016-06-22 11:13, Reginald Carlier wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm want to sum up the length of all the streets in my community.
>
> I have a vector file with the streetmiddlelines.
>
> Under Vector there are the analysis tools and one of them is called "Lijnlengtes sommeren". It seems that this would be the right tool. When I open up the dialog and fill in the output file and select the streetmiddlelines, the tool complains that I haven't selected a vectorlayer as output. There is another dropbox where you can select a polygon vector layer (Why would you do that if you want to sum up lines?). If I select a polygon layer then the tool keeps running indefinitely. Seems that this is a useless tool, or am I doing something wrong?
>
> Reginald
>
> Reginald Carlier
> Deskundige GIS
>
> Gemeente Ingelmunster, Oostrozebekestraat 4, 8770 Ingelmunster
> T +32 51 33 74 39 www.ingelmunster.be [1]

Links:
------
[1] http://www.ingelmunster.be