[Qgis-user] Processing ideas and questions

johnrobot johnrobot at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 07:57:28 PST 2016

Hi
I have a few ideas on how to improve the model builder in processing:

- Support for adding/attaching comments to any component. That would, for
example, help explaining why a specific tool is used. Great for
documentation purposes.
- Open a model by just dropping it in QGIS.
- Support for attaching external files with the processed results. That way,
I could run a model and deliver the results to the client and have all the
necessary documentation included automatically.
- Support for sending an e-mail when the model has finished processing.
- To me, the tools seem to use to much screen space. I can of course resize
them, but I suggest that we make them as small as possible from start.
- Support for undo/redo.
- Removing an object by selecting it and hitting the delete button.
- Make the tools hightlight necessary missing parameter input.
- Support for writing to SQL Server, much like there already is support for
writing to PostGIS.
- I would like to see the number of features coming from each data
set/component in every connection in the model.

What are your impressions of these suggestions? Are any of them already
covered? Should I open tickets?

Down the road, I would like to publish processing models in a web interface
(not a view of the actual models, but an interface for managing and running
them) , so that non-technical users can process and access the data, much
like FME Server. I recently found wps4server. Would that be a possible way
forward for this? I would like to use a simple web page for running the
models and access the data.

Regards,

Magnus