[Qgis-user] QGIS project with no projection

Andrew Harfoot ajph at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 13 03:37:46 PDT 2016

Hi Simon,

Sorry for the confusion - GeoTiff is a standard for embedding the
georeferencing information within the tif image file. A GeoTiff will
usually contain the CRS information as well. A tfw file is an example of
a world file, not a GeoTiff. It is an alternative approach to conveying
georeferencing information, with the drawback of not also documenting
the CRS of the georeferencing as you say.

Any possibility of sharing the image in question to allow people to
suggest solutions?

Cheers,

Andy

On 11/05/2016 10:07, simonc8 wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses.
>
> I've tried the various suggestions but can't get my tiff to import properly
> without specifying a projection. Even following the steps suggested in Lee
> Hachadoorian's post the tiff imports and appears to show the correct units
> in the information bar but when I measure distances using the Measure tool
> these are nothing like what they should be.
>
> Incidentally a geotiff doesn't necessarily have any projection information -
> if you have a .tif file and an accompanying .tfw file it will merely
> register the image using the coordinates specified in the .tfw file with no
> information about what these refer to.
>

> --

Andy Harfoot

GeoData Institute