[Qgis-user] the use of QGIS with many users

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Tue May 31 06:45:40 PDT 2016

Hi,
same here, we have 70 frequent users on a Citrix virtualized
infrastructure, with potentially 300 concurrent sessions.
We have a centralized postgis DB, with PGpool 2 for high availabilty,
failover and load balancing. But we had troubles with pgpool, a sing DB
with more memory on the server would have been sufficient I guess.
We faced some troubles when doing teaching courses, when everybody opened
the same project, with multithreading enabled. We reached the max number of
connection on the pool, but we just had to change a config file then...
Even installation is easy, we just installed Visual Basic C++ runtimes on
the 15 citrix servers, then unzipped our osgeo4w package on it.. (make sure
to use the same location as on the machine used to do the first install,
some paths are hard coded).

Colleagues of mine never managed to have ArcGis work well on such
infrastructures (I didn't even try).

Sharing datas can be handled in many ways. I advice you to use layers'menu
from project plugin to build a menu with with shortcuts to preconfigured
layers, just using a centralised qgs project.

Welcome here !

Karl-Magnus.Jonsson at kristianstad.se>:

> Good afternoon,
> Posgresql and the spatial extension PostGIS works very well with QGIS. I
> believe there are tons of examples, documentation etc. on the Internet.
> There are nice graphical tools to manage data and users. Eg. Pgadmin and
> DBmanager within QGIS.
>
> Karl-Magnus Jönsson

Régis Haubourg

Attention, changement d'adresse mail!