[Qgis-user] Combining modern maps with old maps

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Thu Nov 10 05:43:56 PST 2016

Hi,
As an archaeologist, I do that a lot.  You will need to scan the map to create a .tiff. The you use the qgis georeferencing plugin to place the map in the correct spot.

http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/georeferencing_basics.html
This should help.  Also look at the qgis documentation.  http://docs.qgis.org/2.14/en/docs/user_manual/

If you overlap polygons or two rasters, play with the layer rendering and transparency found in the layer properties.

Cheers
Nicolas