[Qgis-user] suddenly unable to open shape files

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri Nov 25 08:58:36 PST 2016

Hi,

Perhaps you moved or copied the shape files and forgot to move the accompanied files (3 to 8 files with different extensions like .shx .dbf .shp .prj)?  If you just move the .shp and not the others, this is will create errors.  The .shx contains the geometries.  You may get this kind of message if you try to drag and drop the .shx and not the .shp in QGiS.

.tiff will not crash because it's a lone file.

Nicolas