[Qgis-user] Struggling with datum transformations and grid shift files

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Tue Oct 4 04:17:42 PDT 2016

Hi Andi

 >1. As far as I understand, I have to copy the gsb file to the
directory where proj stores the gsb files, in my case "C:\Program
Files\OSGeo4W64\share\proj". Alternatively, one could set another folder
 >and adjust the PROJ_LIB env variable accordingly.

That should work

to 2. and 3. : In the option dialog, you enter the datum transformation
id of the datum transformation(s), not the proj parameter.
So to get from epsg:21781 to epsg:2056 with CHENYX06a.gsb, you enter:

Source crs: EPSG:21781
Destination crs: EPSG:2056,
Source datum transformation: 100001
Destination datum transformation: -1

An easier way to get to these numbers is to check the box 'Ask for datum
transformations if no default is defined'. Then add a layer in 21781 to
the map and transform it to 2056 on-the-fly. In the dialog asking for
the datum transformation, check 'Remember selection'. The entry will
then appear in the options dialog.

Regards,
Marco

On 10/04/16 12:58, Neumann, Andreas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am struggling in QGIS 2x with datum transformations.
>
> The manual is not explicit how to handle this correctly.
>
> Here are the steps I tried:
>
> 1. As far as I understand, I have to copy the gsb file to the
> directory where proj stores the gsb files, in my case "C:\Program
> Files\OSGeo4W64\share\proj". Alternatively, one could set another
> folder and adjust the PROJ_LIB env variable accordingly.
>
> 2. In "Settings" --> "Options" --> "CRS" I can define default datum
> transformations. I tried to enter 21781 (Source CRS), 2056
> (Destination CRS), +nadgrids=CHENYX06a.gsb (Source datum
> transfomation). Destionation datum has been left empty.
>
> 3. I would expect that whenever this combination 21781 --> 2056 shows
> up that QGIS would ask me to pick one the defaults specified in 2.
>
> The problem is that 2. does not work. When I close the dialogue and
> reopen it, my modifications are gone ... and I never have the chance
> to select my datum transformation option.
>
> Can you help me what I am doing things wrong?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Andreas

Dr. Marco Hugentobler