[Qgis-user] QGIS - help: filled contour lines from raster layer data

KOHLMANN Hannes H.KOHLMANN at ove.at
Thu Sep 15 05:30:29 PDT 2016

Hello Nicolas,

thank you for your answer! Reinstalling Osgeo removed the error I mentioned. Now I was able to get contour lines (!! When I chose „Auto“ for the advanced preference v.out.ogr) with r.contour.step, where I chose the minimum 0 and maximum 10 with step size 1. After getting the contour vector layer, I transformed it with the tool Vector --> Geometry tools --> from line to polygon which gives me areas, that I gave 5 different colors then.
Snapshots of the density raster file and the result (filled contours) are here:
Density: https://postimg.org/image/86yowo0oj/
Filled Contours: https://postimg.org/image/ugk8s349n/

I’m not really satisfied with that result because:

1)      Why is it, that there are white areas where actually there should be other than blank? Is it because the contour lines are not closed for these areas? I strongly think so - what would be recommended to avoid that ?

2)      When I select „area“ under the advanced preferences in r.contour.step, I get NOTHING … not a single value or color… do I have to configure the parameters of r.contour.step/level differently?

If you are interested in trying to reproduce that, here is the corresponding density .dat raster file. I gave it the style of 5 different colors, equidistantly distributed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpkfkvos6ss3wx5/density_2015.dat?dl=0

Thank you very much for your help, it took me already one step closer tot he truth :D

Best regards,
Hannes