[Qgis-user] Live GPS tracking in QGIS

Stewart Schultz general at stewartschultz.com
Wed Apr 5 05:56:44 PDT 2017

Hello, QGIS users,

Here's my problem:  I have a bluetooth connection to a GPS unit (Trimble
R1) getting nice submeter accuracy positions, that I can see in my GNSS
status program on my laptop.  So GPS is working and my laptop sees all
the positional data.

I would like qGIS to plot my position live on a GIS with layers
displayed in the GIS.  To accomplish this, I installed the GPS
Information plugin, and loaded it in a panel in qGIS.  In the settings
tab, I chose from a menu the com port that the GNSS server is using.
Voila, the positions appeared on the qGIS layer and moved around as I
moved around, submeter accuracy.  Great I thought it is working.

But no -- the next time I tried this it no longer worked, because the
com port connecting to the GNSS server no longer appears in the settings
tab of the GPS Information plugin.  The plugin apparently connects via
bluetooth, gets all the com information, and lists several com ports
that are in use by the GPS unit, but omits the one com port that the
GNSS server is using!  Before it was listed, now it no longer is listed,
and there apparently is no way to write in a com port, you have to
choose from a menu -- and all ports but the correct port are listed in
the menu.  Very frustrating.

If anybody can help with this I would be very grateful, thanks!
-BR