[Qgis-user] Custom CRS - adding a rotation

Brock Riedell kbrcbc at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 5 11:46:57 PDT 2017

I have some downloaded geologic map shapefiles that were digitized
incorrectly in UTM space, and they render a few hundred meters away from
their proper locations on georeferenced U.S. topo maps as well as on
Google, Bing, and ESRI online base map data. This is too much for datum
shift; the NAD27 to NAD83 transformation should offset coordinates about
90 m.  I have determined that the correction involves a counterclockwise
rotation of ~1.4 degrees and not a simple translation. I have reviewed
the PROJ.4 documentation about using the 7-parameter 'towgs84' options
to add the rotation.  I have not been able to get this working by trial
and error; the data plot out 150-200 km away from where they should be.
Questions:

(1) Do I need to input the rotation value as both Rx and Ry?
(2)The documentation says rotations are input as seconds of arc rather
than degrees, correct?
(3) How does the scaling parameter in towgs84 interact with the scale
factor k_0?

Thanks and regards
Brock