[Qgis-user] Problems (and solution) updating from 2.18.14 to 2.18.15

Fernando M. Roxo da Motta petro at roxo.org
Sat Dec 9 08:41:35 PST 2017

  Hi all,

  Before I forget, I am using Xubuntu 16.04.02 LTS 64 bits and using the
Qgis stable PPA for updates:

deb http://qgis.org/debian xenial main

  Today it was offered to update from 2.18.14 to 2.18.15 and I
accepted.  Upon starting Qgis after update it barked back complaining:

  1- There is a processing module clobbering the install Processing.
     Remove it?

     I accepted and the start proceeded.

  2- The processing could not be activated: cannot import name uic

  And some other plugins couldn't be started do to the same uic error.

  I don't like the quick and dirt "solution": remove the .gis2 directory

  Suspecting of some plugin already installed, after closing Qgis I
renamed the plugin directory (~/.qgis2/python/plugins) to something
else meaningless to Qgis (e.g. meaninglessname).   Then the Qgis
started withou problem.

  Then I started moving back the plugins directory from the meaningless
named directory to the plugins directory.   First the plugins with
names starting from "a" to "f", started Qgis again without problem.
Kept doing this for "g" to "m", "n" to "p", and finaly "q" only (long
list and main suspect).   Bang!  Qgis started to complain.   Looking to
the list of suspect one showed up as possible culprit: qgis2compat

  Moved back the main suspect to meaningless directory and Qgis came
back without a hitch.   Moved all others plugins to the plugins
directory and Qgis started without problem.

  Once I had almost all plugins in place and starting without a
problem, i opened the plugin manager and reinstall the qgis2compat
plugin.  It went without a problem.   As a final check I closed Qgis
and reopened it.   Once again it complained about the processing not
being able to import "uic".   Checking in the plugins manager the
qgis2compat plugin showed no problem at all.

  I removed the qgis2compat and in a final test the Qgis started without
a problem.

  Concluding the long story, if it happens to any of you, it is not
necessary to remove '.qgis2' directoty, try first to remove the
qgis2compat plugin, if installed, or just try to rename the plugins
directory.   If Qgis come up without problem, try to move back the
plugins to test witch one is the culprit.

  Hope this helps.

  Roxo

--
---------------- Non luctari, ludare -------------------+ WYSIWYG