[Qgis-user] Print one map for every category in layer with fixed extent

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Thu Feb 2 02:21:58 PST 2017

Dear all,

In a project I like to produce a sort of species distribution atlas, where I like to print out (export to image) a map from the print composer for every species recorded within one and the same municipality.

So, the map extent should not change and layout is fixed too. With these things fixed, I want to get a map for each single species mapped and thus also legend entries change. The species are in one single layer, but I could also split them if that makes it easier.

Is there a function in Atlas for that which I overlooked or a plugin or the like.
If not, is there any Python code I could repurpose for that? Found only this [1] and [2], where [1] does not work...

But before I start looking into a pygqis solution I like to make sure that this feature does not exist yet...
This is a not uncommon use case in ecology btw., so a built in function would be neat.

I am grateful for any hint.

Kind regards,
Stefan

[1] http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/183589/using-pyqgis-to-create-images-from-the-qgis-print-composer-each-showing-a-differ