[Qgis-user] counting fish

Michael Harte mharte at ozemail.com.au
Mon Feb 6 14:50:50 PST 2017

Jake,

I'm replying in the context of your fish image collection process rather than the image analysis process.

I worked on a project on the Klamath River, in Northern California where we were enumerating salmon stocks with sonar as they ran up the river to spawn.

To ground truth the sonar counts we decided to use video.

We floated a video camera over the ensonified area of the river, but found it difficult to see the fish in the murk of the river, over an algae covered, gravel river bed.

We painted a fiberglass panel white and put it on the bottom to give us a contrasting background, as I assume you are doing.

During post season analysis of the sonar data we noted that the spatial distribution of the fish changed for the two weeks the white panel was on the bottom.

The distribution was uni-modal over the center of the channel for the rest of the season, but bi-modal, with modes at the sides of the channel during the two weeks the white panel was in place.

We concluded that the fish were either avoiding swimming over the white panel or avoiding swimming under the video camera, which was in an large plastic housing floated in a big "inner tube" (we did this in 1987).

However, we did not see the assumed avoidance distribution during the period the camera was in place without the white panel on the bottom.

You might be on the look out for this avoidance behavior.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Mike Harte