[Qgis-user] Importing layers into QGIS 2.18 on Win 7

Pat Brown mistyhaven at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 00:34:00 PST 2017

Hi,
   Can someone please point me to some detailed instructions on how to
import a layer such as from openstreetmaps or Google Maps? The instructions
I have been able to find have assumed a level of knowledge greater than
mine. (eg "Enter the URL of the service which you would like to use,
replacing x, y and z parts with curly brackets substitution as can be seen
below". I have no idea what the "xyz" stands for and what do I replace them
with? Need something that explains the process from a very basic viewpoint.

Thanks