[Qgis-user] Using QGIS as a spacial database

Samuel Lacrampe slacrampe at patchingassociates.com
Wed Feb 22 10:14:31 PST 2017

Hello,

My company is trying to obtain a GIS software to use as a database for our spatial technical data. I thought of QGIS, but without having to install additional database programs such as PostGIS.
I don't want to obtain another database program because we already use one called Ajera, which is a regular (non-spatial) database program.
The technical data I want to store on QGIS would be information that can be used on the software called CadnaA. Examples are: points, lines, area, 3D objects, images, photos, contour maps etc. The limitation with CadnaA is that it can only contain about 1000 objects are once, which is enough for a single project model, but not enough for us to store data from many projects. My thought is that QGIS could serve as the "middle database" to store all the spatial information, which could then be transferred into CadnaA as needed for analysis purposes.
Is QGIS alone, without the use of further database programs such as PostGIS, adequate for this?

I hope my question is clear enough.
Thank you,
Samuel Lacrampe, P.Eng., INCE

Patching Associates Acoustical Engineering (PAAE) | www.patchingassociates.com<http://www.patchingassociates.com/>
#20, 2150 - 29th Street NE, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T1Y 7G4
Direct: 1.403.730.7289 | Cell: 1.403.797.1854 | Toll Free: 1.888.465.5882 Ext. 7000 | Fax: 1.403.516.0544
Harmony. We help create spaces that people value.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication is confidential and may contain proprietary information for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. Any use, distribution or copying of this transmission, other than by the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies.