[Qgis-user] Embed layers and groups

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 01:42:53 PST 2017

Hi,
Thanks Andreas for your comments.

> - embedded layers are shown with "italic" labels in the layer tree to
> distinguish them from regular layers.

Yes, I will add it
At some point, maybe we'll need to find another font, because italic is
currently also used for layers out of scale visibility, layers under
unchecked group (or something like that)

> - all layer properties are "read only", not only styling and labeling, but
> also any other properties, like field aliases, display values, actions,
> etc. That's why the layer properties can't be shown to avoid that the user
> changes stuff which can't be saved in the project.

Ok. Then the scale visibility and the layer filter or scr options being
available might also be bugs (though I agree with Laurence, being able to
play with different scale might be handy). Would be nice to have a clear
list of what's supposed to be kept unchanged from master project.

> - if the master project uses an alternative rendering order (defined in
> the layer order panel of the master project), the layer ordering in the
> project where the layers are embedded can only be retained "en bloc" and
> only if you embed the parent group and not individual layers
>
> It may even be that you'll have to also activate the alternative rendering
> order in the client project if you want to retain, but I am not 100% sure.
> I just remember that it gave me headaches with the layer rendering order in
> the past, because it was a bit buggy. Should work well meanwhile though.

In the doubt, I'd expect someone to test and get back to the list with the
needed requirements, to avoid wrong statement in the documentation.

All the best,
Harrissou