[Qgis-user] Alternative labels on each iteration?

Tobias Wendorff tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de
Fri Mar 17 13:37:53 PDT 2017

Am Fr, 17.03.2017, 21:28 schrieb Nyall Dawson:
> That's odd logic. To me this reads that QGIS developers should spend
> hours of volunteer time to make QGIS the hypothetical "perfect"
> cartographic tool, and only then maybe organisations will start to
> support QGIS. That's not how open source works.

You're totally right. But it's hard to convince a corporation working
with ArcGIS to pay a developer to copy QGIS with an unknown result
(unknown functionality, maybe unknown workload). Those corporations
would like to switch to QGIS and donate later, since they need
security.

> I suspect that you'll find many users would be interested in this
> labeling enhancement, and that following a similar approach will lead
> to the same successful end result.

I'm totally with your, trust me. But it's hard to make corporations
do think this way. Of course, *not* all of them do think so ;)

> I may be biased, but I strongly disagree with this statement! Fact is,
> the "ideal" cartography tool doesn't exist yet.

There are some damn good cartography tools out there, with automatic
generalization (including movement of building etc.), but they're not
known in public and they're damn expensive. $30.000 ArcGIS is way
cheaper :)

> But every time I have
> to use one of the commercial alternatives I'm reminded just how much
> MORE powerful QGIS symbology is. QGIS is already a cartographic
> powerhouse, it just may not yet have every single function required
> for all users. But the beauty of open source is that it's possible for
> anyone to fix this!

Again, I'm totally with you. I'm trying to explain this every time
someone goes nuts with QGIS. I'd love to donate, but I'm a student and
hardly have enough money to pay my flat each month. So all I can do is
report bug and add things to a wish list ;)

Best regards,
Tobias