[Qgis-user] How to reproject maps of world grasslands

Paulo van Breugel p.vanbreugel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 00:54:30 PDT 2017

Using the definition on the proj4 page, you can define a custom CRS
(settings --> custom crs). Just fill in under parameters '+proj=igh'. I
just tried and it gives a good match

Note that this grassland layer is based on the terrestrial ecoregional
map of WWF [1]. If you over overlay that on your grassland layer, using
for the latter the Interrupted Goode Homolosine CRS, you see they will
overlap perfectly. You could in fact easily recreate the map using the
ecoregional map.

Cheers,

Paulo

[1]https://www.worldwildlife.org/publications/terrestrial-ecoregions-of-the-world

On 20-03-17 07:46, Martin wrote:
> Many thanks Raymond: that is helpful. Now at least I know what the
> projection is! As QGIS has so many projections it never occurred to me
> that there may be one that it didn't include. I will now see if there
> is some other way - outside QGIS perhaps? - to convert this projection
> into something more friendly (so to speak).
>
> Martin
>

> On 19/03/17 21:30, Raymond Nijssen wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Sorry, I cannot really help you.
>>
>> Your data seems to be in the (quite odd for distributing data)
>> projection:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goode_homolosine_projection
>>
>> And it is not recognized by qgis.
>>
>> Proj4 seems to know it though:
>> http://proj4.org/projections/igh.html
>>
>> And I found this:
>> http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/17263/is-it-possible-to-use-the-goode-homolosine-projection-in-qgis
>>

>> Hope it helps (a bit),
>> Raymond
>>

>> On 19-03-17 20:49, Martin wrote:
>>> Hello folks!
>>>
>>> I would like to plot a simple map of the WWF World Grassland Types (the
>>> shape file is available at
>>> https://www.worldwildlife.org/publications/world-grassland-types
>>>
>>> It is in an unusual projection. The .prj file is:
>>>
>>> PROJCS["World_Goode_Homolosine_Land",GEOGCS["GCS_WGS_1984",DATUM
>>> ["D_WGS_1984",SPHEROID["WGS_1984",6378137.0,298.257223563]],PRIMEM
>>> "Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION
>>> ["Goode_Homolosine"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",0.0],PARAMETER
>>> ["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",0.0],PARAMETER