[Qgis-user] script to simplify 'Set to Map Canvas Extent'

Christine geo.guide at web.de
Mon May 15 07:17:48 PDT 2017

It's always a question of training and practice to take benefit from a tool
or software. There are differences in concept and solutions between ArcView
/ ArcGIS and QGIS. For me, QGIS is really great particularly due to the
integration of GRASS and SAGA e.g. But of course, it's necessary to dive
deeper into this all to take benefit from.

For people who can't dive deeper, it might be better to choose or create a
more simple viewer with limited functionality for a map output / print
output. And there your proposed button seems appropriate for me. It's really
difficult to have a program sophisticated and simple at the same time and in
the same instance. Should be possible to simplify the QGIS GUI (a QGISimple
fork ?) or this has been already achieved by somebody. Depends always on
demands and a volunteer to complete it.

By the way: if somebody really misses the old ArcView (3), he could give
gvSIG a try. gvSIG is an open source project as well, programmed in Java and
rather similar to ArcView 3. Found it much easier and more comfortable to
create maps with QGIS, but that might be a question of tastes.

Warm regards,
Christine