[Qgis-user] Split features tool behavior

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Wed May 31 03:23:21 PDT 2017

Hi Andreas,
I dug deeper and it seems that I can always split the part once. Any
further splitting of any part results in the invalid geometry error.
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/12799 describes why.
IMHO splitting a part once is ok because you might want to delete this
newly created part or edit its nodes in order to create a gap between
the parts (BTW if that is done you can split parts again).
However it does not make sense to have a multipart polygon with adjacent
parts (they could be one part then), so QGIS correctly detects this as
an error (self-intersection).
Back to what you try to achieve: you could use "Split feature" to create
a new feature, manipulate what you need, even split this feature again
and then use "merge feature" with those polygons that should form the
multipolygon. Your first mail indicates that you are puzzled because you
get three features if you apply "split features" to a part of a
multipart polygon (1 = split part1, 2 = split part2, 3 = all the
other parts). This seems a logical approach to me because how should
QGIS know which of the to halves is supposed to stay with the original
multipart polygon and which is to become a new feature? You can merge
any of the new halves with the original multipart feature in the next step.

I use QGIS 2.14.15 on Ubuntu

Bernhard