[Qgis-user] no python console in QGIS 3 Ubuntu 17.10

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 05:31:38 PDT 2018

> I find that hard to understand. I started off using Qgis on Windows and
> then became a novice Linux user and started installing it on Linux right
> away. I don't recall ever struggling to understand how to install it on
> Linux. It would be no harder to install than anything else on my system
> apart from the usual noob stuff.
>
> What do you want? We are not equal in front of IT.

> If people find it hard to follow the instructions they do have the option
> of installing from their distro. They won't get the latest version a lot of
> the time but it does have the advantage of appearing by default in their
> Software Center or whatever package management GUI the distro provides

Yes, maybe the installation instructions should remind people to check/use
their Software center but as you also mention, it may not provide the
version he wants (latest, LTR...?) so the user has to try the "add repo"
steps, hence needs affordable instructions.

> If I was doing it, it would just be for debian/ubuntu section, the rest
> would be copied/pasted from the existing one.
>
> The request was already that one: make the ubuntu/debian section more
understandable (if it's not). Other distros were not concerned as far as i
know.

But it seems to me there are really only a small number of people that
> actually find it difficult. Like seriously, why would you put in the
> example name for you distro when it clearly says "this is an example".
>
> I never made a count but I have the (wrong?) feeling to often see messages
in the different qgis lists about ubuntu/debian installation process
failures/misunderstandings/missing features. Given that these instructions
are not provided only in English, i feel the issue is not only about the
original writers English capabilities (but maybe in the way the information
is structured).

How far can you practically go to make it easier for a small number of
> people who are either Linux novices, have a poor grasp of English or have
> comprehension difficulties?

That's the challenge: being able to take the place of (sigh!) *those people*
and be understood by them.
QGIS is a world-wide, welcoming and inclusive project so in any part of the
project, (my understanding is that) it should as far as possible lower the
entrance barrier, for everybody.

I have learning disabilities and had never used Linux before when I started
> to use the instructions but I never found them difficult to understand. The
> only real improvement I could think of is to perhaps put a little more
> detail or explanation in here and there, if there is enough space. I've got
> a rough draft but right now it might easily be 50% or more longer than
> what's there at the moment.
>
>  Please, share what you've written so far. If it improves the situation,
then I'm pretty sure there will be reviewers to help you find the
appropriate size (if ever space should be a limitation).

Looking forward...
And thanks for contributing

Harrissou