[Qgis-user] Simple curves

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Apr 17 13:02:27 PDT 2018

Hi Marco,

When you say "curves" - do you mean "circular arcs" - I assume.

Yes - it is possible.

If you want to preserve curves, you'd have to choose a data provider
capable of storing curves. At the moment, the only two data formats with
curves supported in QGIS, are Postgis and Geopackage, provided that you
have a recent version of GDAL and QGIS. Editing curves is part of the
normal editing tools (advanced digitizing toolbar). Maybe GML support
curves - but I don't think you can edit GML in OGR/QGIS - I may be wrong
though.

However, you could create curves also for data providers that don't
support curves. In that case your curve gets segmented into many short
lines - and as a consequence, you can't edit the curve efficiently, once
it is created.

There is, however, a drawback if you use curves - basically whenever you
do something geometry-related, other than plain editing or display of
the data, it will be stroked - e.g. if you split or merge a feature
containing curves, it will be - again be segementized. This is because
the underlying geometry libraries (GEOS) can't handle curves. In such
cases where GEOS is used, QGIS has to segmentize the data before feeding
it into GEOS.

Greetings,

Andreas