[Qgis-user] Adding an OpenWeatherMap WMS layer using PyQGIS

Michel Stuyts michel.stuyts at edegem.be
Tue Apr 24 01:29:53 PDT 2018

OpenWeatherMap deprecated WMS support. You should use their XYZ tiles Service: https://tile.openweathermap.org/map/{layer}/{z}/{x}/{y}.png?appid={api_key}

More info on: https://openweathermap.org/api/weathermaps

Michel

On 23 April 2018 at 21:28, Xristos Xristoou <saxri89 at gmail.com<mailto:saxri89 at gmail.com>> wrote:

I would like to add in QGIS real time weather data.

I found this link<https://www.packtpub.com/mapt/book/application_development/9781783984985/5/ch05lvl1sec98/adding-real-time-weather-data-from-openweathermap> and this link<https://www.gislounge.com/adding-real-time-weather-data-from-openweathermap-qgis-python-programming-cookbook/> and I tried to follow the example, but without any success.

I've added a WMS weather data layer for precipitation to the QGIS map, as follows:

First, the parameters for the service:

service = 'crs=EPSG:900913&dpiMode=7&featureCount=10&format=image/png&layers=precipitation&styles=&url=http://wms.openweathermap.org/service'

Next, create the raster layer, specifying WMS as the type:

rlayer = QgsRasterLayer(service, "precip", "wms")

Finally, add the precipitation layer to the map:

QgsMapLayerRegistry.instance().addMapLayers([rlayer])

the example didn't show any error in the code and no data was added to the weather layer either, I'm not sure why?