[Qgis-user] upgrading 2.12 to 3.4

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 23:38:36 PST 2018

If you are using Windows you can install alongside a previous version by
placing it in a different path.

If using Linux the below applies as there can only be one installation
in a system at a time.

The library names may be the same and if so you can get error messages
that the software needs 3.4 libraries but the system will only provide
2.12 libraries due to them already being installed previously.

If you see a message like that then manually remove the component that
requires the library and then use apt autoremove to remove as many
dependencies as possible

The messages looks something like

/<package name> requires <dependency> but it is not going to be installed/

/Unable to install... you have held broken packages./

You should at least:

apt remove qgis python-qgis qgis-plugin-grass

apt autoremove

apt update

apt install qgis

then see what messages you get. Remove additional packages as necessary
and repeat.