[Qgis-user] Confused by Point vs. PointZ and LineString v. LineStringZ

C Hamilton adenaculture at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 07:40:24 PST 2018

I have been writing some code that maintains the Z dimension for vector
layers. When I create a layer from QGIS points whether it is a point or
line layer and I create the points with QgsPoint(x, y, altitude), I can do
this without using PointZ or LineStringZ layers and it maintains the Z axis.

What is the purpose of PointZ, LineStringZ, and PolygonZ? Is there a reason
I should be using them when Point, LineString, and Polygon seem to work the
same? Is there a reason I should not use the Z versions?

Thanks,

Calvin