[Qgis-user] Installing either qgis 2.X and qgis 3.X

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 21:43:26 PST 2018

Compiling different versions is for really dedicated hard core people.
You lose the advantage of a package management system being able to
automatically update the packages when updates are released. Once you
have compiled a version it is fixed in time because it is not able to be
managed by the package management system so when a new release comes out
you have to compile that version, and so on.

This is why I personally recommend some form of virtualisation as being
a more straightforward solution for most people. I used Oracle
VirtualBox on Linux and had a pile of VMs and they don't take up much
disk space, you just need to ensure you have enough RAM on your computer
to be able to allocate a reasonable amount to a VM. The guest OS can be
a very lightweight environment like Lubuntu that doesn't have all the
bells and whistles and eye candy that people might have with vanilla
Ubuntu and doesn't gobble up a lot of system resources.