[Qgis-user] Mac OS X building QGIS 3 dev on a clean machine!

John Harrop jcharrop at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 09:50:18 PST 2018

Absolutely agree with your points David.  I used to have time at work I could commit to development, which I miss.  Years ago I contributed a little to the 3d fixes for GRASS and I’ve been involved with other largish builds in the past.  I agree its not intended for everyone but there is an attraction to it as a puzzle.  Motivation at the moment is:

1) there was a push, on the QGIS web site for testing of prerelease 3.  This seems to have been much easier for Windows than OS X and I have a strong personal interest n seeing the OS X support since QGIS is crucial on that platform where the choices are much more limited.

2) there have been some geology related discussions about specifying and developing some plugins that will be a very important step in establishing QGIS as a platform of choice for drill hole work.  I can’t look at this in much detail util I have at least a QGIS3 beta running.

3) you probably would agree that is not often possible to do a really clean install where you can check dependancies and conflicts carefully.  There are always other things that have been added and decisions made about configuration.  A clean, just rebuilt machine is a good opportunity for that so I don’t want to waste it.

Thanks for your comments.  I think I’ll follow the MacPorts root and probably head to their forums.  But I’m open to contact from here - please don’t hesitate.

John Harrop, PGeo, FGS
Senior Project Geologist
Coast Mountain Geological Ltd

PO Box 62