[Qgis-user] Brand new user - never heard of QGIS. Where can I find system requirements?

John Antkowiak john_antkowiak at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 05:28:17 PDT 2018

Hi. I used to work with ESRI ArcMap tools as a self-taught mapping analyst, but I haven't looked at mapping platforms in over ten years. Now I have a rather simple project involving boundary vectors for political districts in North Carolina. I need to plot several pieces of information. My system resources are limited. I have no doubt QGIS can handle the task, but is it overkill? Will something simpler do? I need to produce informative .jpgs for email distribution or perhaps web publishing for access by a network of home users. This is not for corporate use.

What system requirements must I meet, for downloading and running QGIS? I have an ASUS R510LA notebook with about 370 GB of available memory. Its processing specifications are shown in the attached image.
I will also need help finding and using data repositories. Will I have to maintain data sets locally? I don't expect to need raster graphics, but I will need vector and point layers that should be available publicly.
This is also my first experience with mailing lists, so I do not understand its concepts yet. I will learn quickly.

Thank you for your help!