[Qgis-user] CRS was undefined: defaulting to CRS EPSG:4326 - WGS 84

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Thu Jul 19 04:34:49 PDT 2018

Hi,
You can simply left or right click the layer in the layer panel and define the layer CRS.  What you are seing is not an error but your default option to do when your Qgis tries to open a file that does not contain a CRS.  You can go to your system setting to the section on “what to do when opening a file without a CRS.”  Select “ask” and not “use default CRS or use project CRS “.

Shp files (I guess you are using that format) uses a .prj extension file for the CRS.  If that file is missing, you will have that message.
Nicolas