[Qgis-user] minimum and recommended specs for a laptop?

Patrick Dunford enzedrailmaps at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 22:55:34 PDT 2018

Good afternoon

An i7 CPU is very powerful and will have more than enough capability but
it depends on the exact tasks. I carry out all my mapping with Pentium G
CPUs in my computers (i1 equivalent) with Debian as the OS.

I would think the amount of RAM you have is probably of more
significance than different models of i7. You can also choose a distro
or desktop environment that is resource efficient, currently I prefer
XFCE compared to some of the other resource hungry environments.

You could also consider an SSD as being faster than a regular HDD if
disk swapping may occur.

If your laptop gets too hot it may not be designed for intensive work
and this is probably a factor of the laptop itself not the workload. It
is simply very difficult to fit a cooling solution within most laptop
chassis and a more powerful CPU will need more cooling. A less powerful
CPU may take longer but have less heat output working at full power for
long periods.