[Qgis-user] Why is pandas not part of the QGIS python package?

Chris Crook ccrook at linz.govt.nz
Fri Mar 9 10:10:05 PST 2018

Hi

If you are using windows I believe pandas is available as a library with osgeo4w (https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/472).  I guess the question relates to the Windows standalone installer?

Cheers
Chris
From: Qgis-user [qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] on behalf of Nyall Dawson [nyall.dawson at gmail.com]
Sent: 09 March 2018 14:04
To: Ivan Dochev
Cc: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Why is pandas not part of the QGIS python package?

On 8 March 2018 at 22:30, Ivan Dochev <ivandochev at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I apologize if this was already discussed, but is there a specific reason
> why pandas isn't part of the QGIS python distribution? I saw a couple of
> discussions on how to get it installed, however every dependency
> installation lowers the "user-friendliness" - imagine I write a script,
> format it is a processing tool and send it someone, explaining that he/she
> has to install dependencies is an additional step, which could,
> theoretically, be avoided...
>
> Pandas is an extremely wide used library, so this must have already come up?

I think you're mixing some things up -- there's no such thing as a
"QGIS python distribution".

If you're running a linux distro then python libraries can be
installed using your normal distro package installer. If instead
you're referring to the Windows build then you'll need to raise this
with the osgeo4w project and get pandas packaged there.

If you're using a mac... I'd just dual boot and save yourself a
billion issues and much frustation.*

Regards,
Nyall

* My opinion. Not that of the project.