[Qgis-user] Drill hole section with QGIS 3

jwellman at jwgeo.com jwellman at jwgeo.com
Thu Mar 15 13:03:03 PDT 2018

To help elaborate the mechanics involved for using drill information I will try to cover the data and steps.

1)  The data consists of at least 3 files.

The first file (Collar) contains 1) the name of the drill hole (Primary Key) (surface perforation, bore hole, etc.), 2) the drill hole surface coordinates (x,y,z), and 3)  the drill hole length.

The second file (Orientation) contains 1) drill hole (Primary Key), 2)  Azimuth (0-360), 3) Inclination (Usually a number from 0 to -90), and 3) the depth, i.e. the distance from the start of the drillhole for that particular set of measurements.

The third file (Attributes) contains 1) the drill hole (Primary Key), 2) A FROM or START distance value for the start of the attributes,  3) A TO or END distance value for the end of the attributes, and 4) as many as needed columns of Continuous or Classified values.

Often a dialog controls how the drill hole attributes are displayed.

The creation of 'Sections' entails creating a constrained 3d 'window' into the data with it's own set of contents, and dimensions on all axis.  Then the script would automate the output of the view such that for an area of interest, there would/would not be overlap between views, and there would also be a Plan View strip at the top.  Achieving this while displaying real world coordinates is preferred.

>From what I gleaned about the new 3d capabilities, the idea of draping a registered raster onto a DEM or set of 3d contour (poly) lines appears to be the primary functionality sought.  As it is the early stage, I assume the wish-list que is longer than the accomplished que.

What does it take to setup a 'working group' to explore how to achieve something like this.  My reaction is to utilize python as much as possible.

I don't know QGIS so well yet.   I am proficient in some of the other commercial GIS packages.

Thank you,

Jesse D. Wellman, cpg
Geologist

 Reno, Nevada 89506