[Qgis-user] QGIS3 Layout - North Arrow?

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 20:22:31 PDT 2018

On 28 March 2018 at 04:56, Bernd Vogelgesang <bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de> wrote:
> I think it is not worth the effort to ask for that.
> The devs had plenty of time to add a specific north arrow tool, but
> obviously had no great interest in it.
> The map canvas and the composer window are completely different things, so
> there is no automatism to have the same features within both.
> And actually it is quite clever to use the same tool for adding north arrows
> or any other image with one button ... it's just about telling the users
> where to look for.

Actually I disagree - I think there's room here to add a dedicated
"north arrow" button to layout designer which adds a picture item but
automatically defaults it to a nice north-arrow picture and sets to
the match the main map's rotation. There would be no code duplication
- it would still just be a standard picture item, but with some nice
defaults so that new users can easily create north arrows.

We do this approach in 3.0 with "line arrow" items too - effectively
they are just the same as polyline items, but default to having an
arrow marker on their end point.

Nyall