[Qgis-user] results Measure Tool vs. length()

Goyo goyodiaz at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:36:31 PDT 2018

The measure tool measures elipsoidal distances (configurable in the
project properties).

The function length(geometry) returns the length of the argument
(linestring) measured in the plane.

The function $length() returns the length of the current geometry
(linestring) measured in the elipsoid and should be consistent with
the measure tool (same configuration).

You do not want to use length(geometry) unless you are using a local projection.