[Qgis-user] Raster clip fails if vector layer is a zip file

qgis-user at stripfamily.net qgis-user at stripfamily.net
Thu Aug 29 19:37:04 PDT 2019

I'm posting this here so that anyone else experiencing this problem
might stumble on this for a solution.
I have a map containing (among other things) a vector layer opened from
a .zip archive using the browser and a raster layer. When I try to clip
the raster with the vector I get "The following layers were not
correctly generated."
I checked and I didn't have spaces in file names or any of the other
common sources of problems. Then it dawned on me that qgis was just
handing off the task to gdal, which doesn't know how to read inside a
zip archive. I extracted the vector layer from the zip archive and my
problems disappeared. So, if your clip is failing, this could be your
problem.